DEVELOPMENT OF APPLICATIONS OF RADIATIONS
Free Electron Laser Compact Source (FEL-CATS) operating in the far infrared region from =0.4 to 0.7 THz, with relevant applications for diagnostics applied to bio-medical samples, Cultural Heritage and Security
Topologic Trichromatic Radar operating at three different visible wavelengths (ITR-RGB). The instrument permits the contemporary collection of high-resolution (150 micron) colour images and an accurate metrology for 3D model reconstruction; it operates remotely up to a 150 m distance, the current main application being relevant to Cultural Heritage characterization
ENEA carries on research activities by: implementing technologies for the application of ionizing and non ionizing radiations; developing particles accelerators, systems, micro-components and nanostructures for optoectronics and photonics; taking care of mathematical modeling, the physical phenomena upon which the technological development foreseen relies. The activities involve both innovation and technology transfer, including advanced services for energy and sustainable economic development as well.
The main topics of research activities can be summarized as follows:
- Systems for the generation of ionizing and non ionizing electromagnetic radiation, including tunable laser sources, free electron lasers (FEL) in the THz frequency range, soft X Rays sources from FEL and plasma, with relevant applications to imaging, anti-counterfeiting, Environment and Cultural heritage diagnostics, Security.
- Particles (protons, electrons) accelerators for industrial and medical applications, for FELs development.
- Advanced mathematical methods for studying problems relevant to classic and quantum optics, transport of charged particles beams, modelling of complex systems, including the biological ones.
- Optical and spectroscopic systems for diagnostic and metrological applications (lidar systems) aimed at in situ and remote characterization of the Environment and of Cultural Heritage, and at Security and Health; miniaturized system for application on the territory, also on Earth and other planet’s hostile environments; imaging systems for in situ applications in relevant applied fields, also taking care of data elaboration, analysis and integration in multisensorial frames.
- Micro-components (innovative detectors of ionizing radiations based on broad-band light-emitting dielectric films, periodical gratings in fibre optics) and nanostructures (nanowires, nanopowders, nanotubes, ultrathin films) for optoelectronics and nano-bio-photonics. Their applications range from scientific (high energy physics, aerospace, bio-medical imaging diagnostics) to industrial (transport, infrastructures, seismic prevention) fields; they are also suitable for specific use in energy production systems, including nuclear plants.
On the same issue ENEA carries on high qualified technology services as well, which include field campaigns upon request from national and international end-users.
Technical Unit for the development of APplications of RADiations. ACTIVITY REPORT Year 2010
Technical Unit Development of Applications of Radiations - UTAPRAD
Director: Dr. Roberta Fantoni